Thursday, January 19, 2012

Landscape Design Project - Reading, MA

I spent today working on this Landscape Design Project for a potential client of mine located in Reading, MA. They were looking for a landscape with plenty of color and ease of maintenance.  I always tell potential clients that all landscapes need to be maintained properly and there really is no "maintenance free" landscape. My goal in this design was to choose 15 plant species and create a bold statement with so few plants. In some designs, my plant lists can be quite large, but on this one I chose to be more minimalistic when it came to choosing my plants. Am I minimalistic when it comes to creating/designing planting areas? Well, I would have to say "No." My philosophy regarding planting design is to pack plants in, thus creating a swath of beautiful colors and textures. I use plants together that will grow close to each other without harming those around them. Some plants have root systems that can be very vigorous and can overwhelm other plants near by. These root systems can knot up, around and through other plant species while simultaneously sucking all the needed moisture and nutrients away. So, you really need to know all aspects of the plants you are designing with in order to create that "perfect" landscape. 

Need help designing your landscape?
Contact Ryan Wikman, the owner of WikWorks, Inc, also visit our contact page or visit our website

No comments:

Post a Comment